PURPOSE OF THE POSITION
World Vision (WV) has been awarded a multi-million EUR grant from the European Union (EU) to lead a consortium of partners to implement their Accelerating Health Agriculture and Nutrition (AHAN) project under pillar three of the EU’s Partnership for Improved Nutrition in Lao People’s Democratic Republic (PDR). Consortium partners include World Vision Australia (lead) with 4 implementing partners: World Vision Laos, Agronomes et Vétérinaires Sans Frontière (AVSF), Green Community Development Association (GCDA) and the Burnet Institute.
The AHAN project has the overall objective of creating supportive conditions for enhanced household (HH) nutrition through the following specific objectives:
1) Improved access to and availability of sufficient and/or diverse foods year round; 2) Improved dietary and care practices among Women of Reproductive Age and children under 5; 3) Reduced incidence of selected Water, Sanitation and Hygiene (coordination) related diseases/illnesses linked to under nutrition; 4) Improved gender equitable relations at the HH level, particularly in decision-making and distribution of workload; and 5) Strengthened multi-sector coordination and support for nutrition. The project will be implemented across three provinces and 12 districts of Lao PDR.
The Project Officer will work closely with the District Coordinator to facilitate and maintain strong government and community relationships in their assigned district. They will facilitate participation, ownership and empowerment of community processes, and represent World Vision as an organization that walks alongside children, families and communities in a journey of transformational development.
Key activities the Project Officer will be responsible for include
Facilitate Community Change Workshops/meetings for Gender and Nutrition, in partnership with LWU
Establish and support village level Nutrition Groups
Facilitate trainings and support LWU and VHV on community sexual and reproductive health and identification, management and referral of childhood illnesses and malnutrition.
Coordinate with Government Health staff to support quarterly Village Health Outreach services
Support CLTS and WASH campaigns at village level
Establish and support Village Savings Groups
Train HH on gender and nutrition-sensitive financial literacy and management
Identify and distribute women’s labour saving technologies
Support Agricultural Activities implemented by AVSF
Monitoring of activities and collection of data
Support other project activities and needs as required/requested
A. Building relationships within communities
1. Build close relationships and actively learn within partner communities, through home visits, staying overnight with host families, community events, etc.
2. Build good relationships that communicate World Vision’s mission, values and identity to all appropriate stakeholders, including community groups, local authorities and other NGOs.
3. Manage proactive and responsive relationship with Project Partners, Government stakeholders, and other partners in the field.
B. Building capacities
1. Plan and implement all aspects of project activities in target district, ensuring that all Partners meet their obligations under the project, and meet WV and EU compliance standards
2. Develop clear work plans and ensure quality and timeliness of all program interventions. Develop yearly district work plan and budget, in keeping with the project proposal and activity plans
3. Facilitate formation and ongoing capacity building of communities for holistic sustainable development, ensuring ownership of outcomes by communities.
4. Train partner community groups on appropriate skills and self-assessment methods to build their capacity for management of local initiatives.
C. Learning within community
1. Facilitate community (including children and the marginalized) to participate in the gathering of, reflection upon and learning from local information.
2. Participate in and support the implementation of project measurement and program/project evaluation and facilitate community learning from results.
3. Promote communities to share and learn from their own experiences as part of confidence and capacity building.
4. Consistently look for more effective and efficient implementation methods and opportunities to increase impact.
D. Planning and implementation with community
1. Actively support the Operations Team Lead and District Coordinator in assessment and work plan design processes and collaborate with community nd partners in project planning, implementation, monitoring and reporting processes relevant to assigned area.
2. Ensure that gender analysis and child protection are mainstreamed within WV initiatives in their assigned communities.
3. Raise awareness and facilitate critical analysis of community issues and opportunities.
5. Mobilize local resources, community planning, participation and ownership for development initiatives.
E. Monitoring, Evaluation, Reporting and Communication
1. Establish and maintain effective project reporting, monitoring, evaluation, and communication systems.
2. Submit timely, accurate data, ensuring quality data collection and analysis.
3. Prepare and submit all reporting requirements ensuring they are on time and meet minimum standards. Ensure any problems or challenges are effectively communicated so that delays can be overcome and the project goals achieved.
Degree, Knowledge, Skills and Abilities
At least diploma qualification, bachelor preferred
At least 3-5 years’ experience in working with the rural community on Nutrition, Health, Gender or WASH activities
3-5 years’ experience on community mobilization, with demonstrable skills resulting in community behavior change
Must understand and agree with WV’s vision, mission and Core Values
Fluent in local ethnic language and Lao (dependent on target District)
Must be willing to work and stay overnight at the target village areas
Must be willing to work within a team
Must be willing to learn new things
Must know how to drive and have a license to drive motorcycle
Expected to travel 80% of the time in the target village areas
Interested candidates are invited to submit a COVER LETTER and CV to the address below. Please indicate the POSITION TITLE. Deadline for application is 27 January 2020 position will close early if a suitable candidate is found.
Mail: People and Culture Department
P.O. Box 312 Vientiane 01005
Email: [email protected]