WVV Technical Program Manager - Resilience and Livelihoods
World Vision is a Christian relief and development organisation working to create lasting change in the lives of children, families and communities living in poverty. World Vision serves all people regardless of religion, race, ethnicity or gender. As a child-focused organization, WV’s work focuses on children, ensuring they are protected and their basic needs are met. WVV has a total income of around US$ 19,000,000 (FY16) with funding from 16 support countries in Europe, Asia, the Americas and Australia. Funding of WVV consists of sponsorship program funding (70%) and PNS/grants (30%). WVV employs about 450 staff, of which 99% are Vietnamese nationals.
Currently, World Vision Vietnam is implementing 40 Area Programmes (APs) which operate in 5 zones: North (Hung Yen, Hoa Binh, Hai Phong and Dien Bien), Yen Bai – Tuyen Quang, Thanh Hoa, Central & Highlands (Quang Tri, Quang Nam – Danang, DakNong) and South (Quang Ngai, Binh Thuan, Ho Chi Minh). WVV’s APs focus within one administrative district of a province which usually populated by ethnic minority people with very high rates of poverty. A uniqueness of WVV’s Development Program Approach (DPA) is that AP team members are based at district level where the AP is located, which enables them to work closely with government partners and communities on a daily basis. Beside the APs, WVV is also implementing different Special and Grant Projects to meet the specific needs of vulnerable children in both AP and non-AP areas.
In alignment with four ministry strategic objectives, WVV has developed 4 Technical Approaches (TA) and designed four Technical Programs (TP) including 1) Nutrition, 2) Education, 3) Child Protection, 4) Resilience and Livelihoods. TPs are national level programs implemented across all APs in the country. They employ evidence-based practices and models previously identified, defined and prioritised through a strategic process and documented in a Technical Approach (TA).
Program Quality and Resource Development (PQRD) Department consists of a Program Effectiveness Unit, Grant Acquisition and Management (GAM) Unit, and four Technical Programs.
PURPOSE OF THE POSITION
- Lead the processes of TA development as well as TP design and implementation;
- Ensure the integration with Advocacy, Sponsorship, and other TPs as well as mainstreaming of cross cutting themes (gender, disability, child protection and participation) in TP design and implementation;
- Strengthen the technical depth of WVV’s interventions through scaling-up of evidence based promising practices;
- Strengthen WVV’s influential voice through local and national level activities.
1. Strategic Guidance and Leadership
- Lead the development of TA, in alignment with Partnership, Regional and National Strategies, based on thorough root causes analysis, pathway of change, stakeholders analysis and WVV’s evidence based project models/ good practices
- Lead the revision of TA based on changes in Partnership, Regional and National Strategies, changes in the context, government’s directions as well as learning from implementation of TPs
- Provide line and matrix management to technical team members, ensuring WVV’s People and Culture (PnC) processes are followed
- Support professional and personal development of Technical staff to deliver job requirements
- Provide strategic leadership for effective team engagement with internal and external stakeholders and partners
2. TP Design and Adaptation
- Lead the (re)design process of TP, guided by the TA and specific needs/ issues, in close coordination with APs, other NO staff as well as Regional and Funding Offices
- In APs funded by sponsorship, work closely with the Sponsorship Manager to ensure that appropriate aspects of sponsorship are integrated in programming and that the needs of RC are taken into consideration in the design and plans of TPs
- Collaborate with Zonal/ AP staff and PEU team (DME, Community Engagement, MVC and CCT) to adapt TPs in APs according to the local context, through the AP review and planning process.
3. Implementation of TP level activities
- Manage relationships with strategic partners at national and provincial levels to ensure that efforts align and multiply positive impact
- Directly implement the national level advocacy for the TP to influence policies and practices in closely working with advocacy team.
- Assure the articulation between local and national level advocacy
- Co-lead/facilitate advocacy campaigns related to the TP
- Develop technical guidelines and training curricula that will be contextualized by APs
- Have operations researches or impact assessments conducted by external consultants or sectoral government partners to provide verified evidences on the impact of WVV’s project models.
- Manage the national level activity budget of the TP
4. Technical Guidance and Quality Assurance
- Collaborate with and support AP staff to implement TP within the local context, including ensuring DPA is applied in APs
- Manage the TP to ensure it is implemented within the agreed design and standard technical guidelines
- Track the financial utilisation of the TP along with AP managers and the Operations director and ensure proper and timely funding utilisation
- Manage risks and issues and ensure quality implementation
5. Monitoring, Evaluation and Reporting
- Work closely with PEU Manager, assigned PEU Specialist and AP managers to coordinate the TP baseline/ evaluation
- Work closely with PEU Manager and assigned PEU Specialist to develop TP standardised indicators and tools that will be consistently used and measured across all implementing APs
- Collate, analyse and use information generated from APs to produce CWB report (TP-related strategic objective) and other regular TP level management and finance reports as required
- Manage TP data on Horizon, work collaboratively with AP Managers to assess implications and actions based on data
- Facilitate TP reflection and learning networks to identify, document and share evidence based best practices and lessons learnt across all implementing APs
- Actively engage in WV regional learning networks to share experience and lessons learnt
- Prepare for and support transition of the TP
6. Resource Acquisition
- Develop TP funding strategy and ensure the TP is funded from diverse sources
- Develop or significantly contribute to grants/PNS concept notes and proposals development and local fundraising
The following knowledge, skills and abilities may be acquired through a combination of formal schooling, self-education, prior experience, or on the job training:
Bachelor degree in the relevant field, master degree is preferred
At least five years’ experience in the technical area
At least three years of leadership experience (matrix management experience is highly preferred)
Prior project management experience of NGO funded projects
Experience networking with a range of donors, multi-lateral, and government bodies;
Experience in proposal writing for government grants from donors such as USAID, DFAT, DFID, JICA and EU.
Experience in emergency responses is preferred
Strong People Management and Leadership Skills
Strong technical expertise in the technical areas
Proven project management skills, including financial management and DME
Excellent verbal and written communications skills in English and Vietnamese
Strong problem solving and decision making skills
Strong skills in data analysis, research and report writing
Strong facilitation skills
Integrity, honesty, and accountability to both the team and the community
Understanding of and commitment to World Vision Core Values
World Vision Vietnam is a Christian non-government organization. Applicants having working experience in a similar kind of organization will be an advantage.
Our contact details are:
People and Culture Department
World Vision International - Vietnam
Address: 4th floor, the HEAC building, 14-16 Ham Long street, Hanoi
Tel: 04. 39439920 (ext.121)
We give equal opportunity to every candidate, regardless of religion, race and gender.
A competitive salary, benefits and career development opportunity will be offered and commensurate with the experience, qualifications and responsibilities.